Saturday October 21st 2017

Dear Gilbert,

I am writing to you for help.

My husband is 40 years old and was recently retrenched 3 months ago. He was working for HP which has a influx of Indian IT professionals.

Most of them with their unaccredited degree were earning double of what he was earning. These are people with engineering degree doing IT jobs.

We are Singaporeans but we have relatives in India  who told  us that engineering colleges are sprouting like mushrooms all over India. Anyone can start an engineering college in a shop-house.

And to pass out with a degree all you need to do is give some under table money. I don’t understand how our government can employ these people with degrees that have no credibility.

His last drawn salary was $4300. My husband has 20 years of experience in the IT field. He has a private diploma in computer studies from Singapore.

He is a hardworking man and has many testimonials from his previous jobs. We have three children.

He has tried applying for many jobs but he only had 2 interviews so far.

I left teaching due to the medical condition of my children 14 years ago.

And at that time I could not find another job too.

My teaching diploma from NIE was useless. Seven years later, I upgraded myself in SIM to become a graduate but to no avail.

I have some specialized training and currently I am self employed and running my business from home.

Could we meet you to discuss personally to see how my husband can find a job? Need your advice.

Regards,

Mdm M

10 Responses to “Wife seeking help for IT husband who was retrenched by HP filled with Indian professionals graduated from shop-house engineering colleges”

Mdm M, Spore has become a difficult place for local pmet especially if you don’t have a degree master or PhD. With the hiring manager a FWs, they will hire their same people n retrench Sporeans.If you can find a job elsewhere overseas , maybe you n family should give a try. Good luck.

2. xyz says:

Problem is manifold:
    1) Over 35yo
    2) Expensive compared to foreign “graduates”
    3) Working in cost centre

Solution:
    1) Age cannot be helped. But appearance helps — look fit & trim & energetic, and dress well. Not overweight, sloppy, sluggish.

2) Have to lower — no choice. Unless you have top-notch world-class skills in IT security, data centre management, multi-national networking guru, programming god in java and c++ and everything in-between.

3) Try to work in profit centre. E.g. If not pure sales, then at least in technical sales, sales support.

3. Thistoo Shallpass says:

I am against any policy that encourages employer to hire foreigners over Singaporeans. But our complaints can only be effective if we keep the facts straight.

Your husband was not employed by the government but by HP. HP is in the business of making money, not making political statements. To make money, HP has to be pragmatic. To claim that HP would hire an unqualified foreign talent and pay him/her double what they would pay a qualified Singaporean simply does not make sense.

There are unscrupulous schools in India handing out diplomas like candies, and there are similar schools in Singapore as well. It is not likely that HP, a MNC, would not know which are the credible schools and which are not.

So rather than blaming the government or HP, let’s look at his situation.

Your husband has been in the IT industry for 20 years. What is his position? $4,300 a month is about average for a regular programmer. I would expect someone with 20 years’ experience would be making significantly more, especially someone working in a MNC. 90+% of what he learned in his diploma programme 20 years ago would be obsolete now. Has he been keeping up with the technology?

I have worked in IT for over 30 years. I held a senior management position at a MNC (not HP) before I retired in my mid 50′s. If you can get my e-mail address from Gilbert may be I can try to help.

• Jamie says:

Finally a person with common sense in this forum. Rare

• Shallthis Passtoo says:

If you are really “against any policy that encourages employer to hire foreigners over Singaporeans”, shouldn’t you also be against (Singaporean elected) government for not having a policy of discouraging the hiring of companies that “hire foreigners over Singaporeans”?

If HP, in the process of being pragmatic in making money, did not enable these Singaporean to also make money; to be similarly “pragmatic”, shouldn’t they not instead be making “political statements” so that those they select as representatives, can help them “make money” off HP, while HP makes the money off the government, and where the (electee) government’s ‘makes’ the money off these (elector) Singaporean?

• CY says:

There is already the foreign worker quota for work permit and S-pass holders. There is also the requirement to advertise EP jobs for locals for at least 7 days (if I recall correctly). Training subsidies are only for Songaporeans and PRs; foreign workers pay course fee in full. All these rules have been set by the government. So, isn’t it factually wrong to say the government is not doing anything?

4. fishbuff says:

hi Mdm M,

just migrate. your family and you will have a better life elsewhere.

5. just-a-guy says:

Madam, I am not a Singaporean but an SPR..i hope your husband lands a job very soon and your household is relieved of related worries..

I would like to just comment on one sentence of yours- which is.. “I don’t understand how our government can employ these people with degrees that have no credibility.”

I believe your notion is incorrect. It is not the government which employs people- it is the company which determines the suitability of the candidate as they are the one who have to give the salary after all. Now, do you think that a company will really hire someone with no credentials or fake degree or no capability to do the job? And pay him/her salary for nothing? Just keep yourself in the shoe of the owner or manager of the company.

Would just say that it is not appropriate to blame the government for all this. The government has tried really hard to bring in foreign companies here in Singapore. In fact, most underdeveloped countries struggle to bring in foreign companies. I visit this website on almost weekly basis and get to learn a lot from here. Very often I read people say, “kick all FTs out” etc. Now imagine if you are owner of big MNC and you set up a branch in Singapore. But you are told that you will have to kick all FTs out and that you cannot hire more FT but only local people…but if you do not feel that local people have the necessary skills, training or experience or in worst case the willingness or capability to do the job…what will you do ? Probably, shift your branch to another country which allows you to hire that FT right ?

It is true that in many cases companies also hire cheaper FT or they hire FT because they are more “compromising”…but it is not always the case most of the time…

6. Tan Bee says:

I disagree with this statement (please this is objective, no offense is intended):

“Now, do you think that a company will really hire someone with no credentials or fake degree or no capability to do the job? And pay him/her salary for nothing? Just keep yourself in the shoe of the owner or manager of the company.”

In many cases the correct and fair recruitment process is bypassed. A few Indians will come here initially and bring the rest of their colleagues from India (from the same company and/or college). The hiring manager/lead is Indian and will pass-over other candidates. So the truth is that more often than not, Singaporeans are skipped over for Indians because of their connections from back home in India.

• GTL says:

Dear Tan Bee, I definitely agree with you as that was exactly the situation in my former company – Recruitment based on network of recommendations – the no. 1 criteria was to meet the lower cost per head count set by the finance to the HR and no. 2 criteria is the attitude of “die die also can” and never say cannot do to your boss. Truth hurts.