Sunday March 26th 2017

Hi Gilbert,

Firstly, I want to say thank you for providing a glimpse of hope and support for those facing obstacles in our lives.

I have been actively reading your site and decided to write to you  seeking assistance as I am unemployed for over a year.

I have been actively sending out my resume but no avail.

I have exhausted my resources and am expecting the writ of summons in a day or two, which will ultimately lead to my  bankruptcy.

I am trying to be positive to avoid depression.

I left my prior banking  job in 2013 due to the unpleasant work relationship with my superior.

My role was pretty all right.

I worked with several bosses till the latest superior who is a FT turned PR.

It all changed when my role was diluted to several inclusions of headcounts; I was involved in assisting/mentoring the start-up of various projects in which the deliverables were not to my credit.

To add on, I was the longest serving staff in that department.

My performance rating was exceptional since I joined the company and the latter of average rating was given to me by my ex-boss.

The reason being, I did not deliver the expectations where else in actual fact I have actually contributed equally to all my team members.

These tasks were assigned to me as my portfolio.

Wouldn’t that make my deliverables as I have supported all the projects to completion?

Under this management, I was tasked to take on several roles apart from my core responsibilities (stretched) and covering whenever the primary owner is on leave.

Everyone else has less than my area of responsibilities.

I felt that I was in a game of office politics and I will not be able to hang on for another year, thus triggering my resignation.

Regards,

Tommy

P.S: I’d appreciate if we can have a PM correspondence in details.

Editor’s note: We have assigned the writer with the services of our career coach.

10 Responses to “Depressed Singaporean banker jobless for a year after forced to resign by foreign superior”

1. op says:

in all countries in the world, most employees quit their jobs because of office politics.

Hi Tommy, this is the real world. Did your ex manager employed his same nationality to fill up you position?…. Hope future party will make Sporeans first policies, especially in PMET jobs.

3. Stanley says:

It’s pretty childish to quit a job without any backup just because of office politics. Any large organization has endless political situation he mention. I cannot imagine that someone who work in a bank will be shock by office politics.

If his standard response is to quit whenever there is politics, then he better start his own biz or be a full commission salesman.

The title is also misleading. There was no mention of the Indian manager victimizing him (other than giving him an average rating) and he admitted he resigned because he did not want to play politics.

When you say someone is “forced to resign”, it usually implies that the person was sacked and given a chance to resign to save both parties face. In this case he was never told to resign by his boss, he himself resign impulsively over common and mundane issues faced everywhere in mncs.

4. Dan says:

Hi,

May I know where you send you your resume to?

5. john huang says:

look on the bright side, at least you had 20+ years of good run. you should have some big savings by now. compare your situation with the rest of us who worked in factories, smes etc and draw low pay, you had fair better than all of us. so don’t be a strawberry and whine. we too had lost jobs before but we picked ourselves up by taking lower pay jobs and less satki title.

consider yourself very fortunate that you had a good run on the gravy train. time for you to join us ex-PMETs in the jobless line.

6. Befair says:

Frankly, when you are in the position of the employer you will ‘naturally’ be tempted to hire the foreign person. Less salary, willing to work their a-ss off and very eager to please you. If you know what I mean ~.

Given a CHOICE, I think 80% of the time I would pick a foreign staff. The only people who can stop me of course is the government. Hic ~

But fortunately for me, they are not swinging in the direction of the locals and are equally eager to gain more from corporate and income taxes through foreign hires and ‘better corporate profits’ due to lowering costs, or for the mere presence of my business which ‘adds’ to the local business density.

@Befair. Maybe one day its your turn in future. your boss will replace you with a foreigner….than you know the situation.

8. Ban Leong says:

“….. I have exhausted my resources and am expecting the writ of summons in a day or two, which will ultimately lead to my bankruptcy.”

How can that be? You are only unemployed for a year.

• Jason says:

It is not a tough thing to be bankrupt. Learn from it and get on with life. Learn to live within your mean and save for a rainy day. Bankruptcy is common in the US. It is a form to renew yourself.

9. Larkin says:

Interesting the article highlights the superior was an FT. I work at a consulting company with mix of foreigners and locals (I’m expat). In my experience the local senior staff are tougher and less patient than the western foreigners. Projects run by local staff and with local Singaporean clients can be the roughest and very pressurized, and I’ve known several foreigners who have had trouble accepting the environment. Just pointing it out.