Tuesday June 27th 2017

Dear Sir/Mdm,

I’m writing to seek much needed help on acquiring a HDB flat for the sake of my growing kid.

I am a single parent currently residing with my aged mother.

HDB said I’m ineligible for a BTO flat as I’m an undischarged bankrupt of fourteen long miserable years.

I’m even unable to go to a RC Malaysia trip with my family.

My father is only waiting to sell the flat upon my mother’s demise and that would effectively render me homeless.

I’m working hard at a nearby hawker centre to make ends meet, though, my boss (Roastmania) is exploiting me and changes his employment terms at will.

I have had contemplated suicide before.

I decided I have to live on as no one will look after my child, should anything untoward happen to me.

The previous visits to the Marine Parade MP is a futile attempt as the various government agencies do not take heed to her letters.

Hence, I hope you will look into my pleas and give due consideration to my request as there is no representative here that is able to effectively help cases such as mine.

In the meantime, I also hope you can disburse from NTUC and transport vouchers to help me tide through this unbearable rough period.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,
Ms Tan Li Yin

Editor’s note: We will be providing the writer with a small financial aid of $100 and see how best we can assist her along the way.

10 Responses to “Single bankrupt mum attempted suicide in her fruitless journey of getting a new HDB flat”

Ms Tan, sorry to read your story…its hurt me to read or hear news about ordinary Sporeans struggling in their own land whereas FWs happily working and enjoying life in Spore. Wish you and family the best and hope future party that govern the city will put ordinary people like you first in their policies decisions.

2. Singaporean Employer says:

Hi Ms Tan, I hope you’re doing fine.

In my humble opinion, financial confidence may well be the first step to having a change of life.

If you don’t mind, drop me a mail at hello@fosstech.biz with what you would like to do, i.e. sales, admin, etc.

3. Manson says:

It look like Singapore own you a living. Threaten suicide just because can’t buy a HDB flat. That madness. There are so many Singaporean out there living in a 1 room rental flat are happily living their life everyday and never say die or seek government help.

• 胡文斌 says:

@manson: I follow you.

Furthermore, the best thing about Singapore’s Foreign Talent Scheme is that Singaporeans who SUCCEED in say, getting a place in the local universities can always feel MUCH MORE SUPERIOR to their compatriots who DO NOT, even if they qualify.

Being in a Singaporean university is sufficient to put anybody, no matter what their nationality or GENDER, on a pedestal.

oh poon ping (“paul”)

Hi Manson, are you a local Sporeans or a Foreigner?…Maybe you’re those who benefit from the systems.

5. Manson says:

Hi sal,
    I am local born 2nd. generation Singaporean. I, like many Singaporean do benefited from the Singapore system of government. If you are rich, every country you go are good. But if are poor, better stay put in Singapore. Unlike other countries, the PAP government do have many resource to take care of you if you don’t demand too much. Be happy and live within your mean that should solve many of our problems today.

@Manson, the rich will get richer in Spore. If the parent is poor, most likely the next generation and after will be poor. The rich can get a good education and tuition for their kids, whereas the poor children will be behind in their studies and work level….there will be no level playing field in education n employment. All the best to you n family.

7. Hi Manson, at the end of the day it is the ultimate duty of the government of the day to come to the rescue of such people. Doesn’t we as parents assist our kids when they are in need of help?
    Being a single parent is not a choice. It is a result of difficult decision to make. To abort the foetus or not. It is very difficult. Probably tose in that dilemma knows better for they are the one going through the difficult period and the end decision.
    Neither is Poverty a choice. Poverty is a result of circumstances too. If the parents were poor from the start, the children would grow up in that vicious cycle too.
    Those who are fortunate to be born to wealthy parents and who grew up with creature comforts of being driven about in a car are different from the less fortunate who struggle to get to school on public transportation.
    I grew up as a kid from a very poor family. I went to school with only 15 cents per day. Ten cents for transportation in those days and the balance 5 cents for buying grub at the tuckshop. I walked to school and back and saved the 10 cents so that I too could buy half a ice-ball on my way home. My little stomach was filled with charred toppings of bread from a Hainanese bakery. I still cannot forget the kind baker who empathized with me and would always offer those crumbs to me and my siblings.
    I could not even afford schoolbooks and was fortunate that many textbooks used by my older siblings could still be used by me. Unlike today, those days was different. I still keep my Angus Maciver’s First Aid In English with me. It is still useful to me.
    We should understand the plight of people who are so down in life that they are prepared to end their life.
    Shockingly, many things remain unchanged till today and the government of the day has not even bothered to change archaic laws.
    Section 309 of the Penal Code Chapter 224 makes suicide and attempts a punishable offence. This law was enacted on the basis of religion that the English followed for taking one’s life – a “gift” from God was abhorred by all.
    Until now that law is still around. This is 2014 and we are a secular state.
    I still feel strongly that the government should, like all parents, take it upon themselves to assist people in need.
    Providing a roof over the head is one basic need.
    I have nothing against the government BUT strongly feel that these highly-paid politicians ought to sit down and have a re-look at archaic rules / laws or by-laws.

Further more the scholarship should go to the poor childrens who can study, not to the rich childrens where their parents can buy the bond if their kids unable to fulfill the scholarship bonds… What a joke?

9. The very best thing you can ever do for your relationship is to
    focus on how to live your life with as much
    health and happiness as possible. Understanding how your partner’s emotions and
    behaviors affect you, how you react and how it in turn effects your partner will give light into the
    cycle of your relationship. ” So instead of explaining diversity to the child, they complain to hide their own embarrassment That says it all. Not everyone will choose to be a Christian nor will every Christian choose to obey the written Word of God; but one thing is certain, no one has the right to force another person to believe in God, or to force another person to believe and keep the Law of God if it is not their choice.