Monday November 20th 2017

Dear Sir/Mdm,

I’m writing to request for assistance.

I’ve only commenced work in this company, Lian Tong & Co Pte Ltd for 4 days when they abruptly told me that my service is not needed.

The rest of the foreigners at the interviews secured jobs without any hassle.

I felt very unfair about it as I previously thought that MOM has had enforced various measures to protect citizens after the watershed P.E. of 2013.

However, this is obviously not the case as transgressions at various companies is an actual norm.

Take this for an example. There’s a Malaysian company named “Pathlab S’pore”.

This company has not been paying the mandated thirteen month bonus on the pretence that they do not have enough funds.

However, they can expand into the CBD district and other countries, as well.

They did the same to the staffs in Malaysia. They in turn responded with a strike and the members of parliament of the PR intervened on their behalf.
The issue was resolved with the company complying with the regulations.
This is Malaysia we’re talking about; a third-world country.

Are our MPs in the PAP doing the same thing?

I’m sure we all know the answer.

As I’m now unemployed, I approached NECDC for ComCare work support and am still awaiting for their response.

I’m not sure, but I feel that they’re taking their own sweet time to handle needs from Aljunied residents — whom the government considers non-citizens for the obvious reasons.

It brings back bitter memories of a Potong Pasir resident who once wrote in a forum in 2010.

She complained that SECDC has had victimized her as she hails from PP SMC, which was then under Mr Chiam’s charge.

PM Lee asks if our lives have improved since 2011.

My take is a resounding NO!

I’m waiting for 2015 or 2016.

Yours faithfully,
William Lim (S1519582G)

6 Responses to “Local PMET unfairly terminated after four days of work at Lian Tong & Co Pte Ltd but foreigners continue working”

1. johor says:

support sdp in 2016 !

2. Melbourne says:

Please don’t assume that people are taking their own sweet times as don’t forget there are also other people in dire situations. Be patient and take help as a bonus and not an entitlement.

Sorry to hear the news, its saddened me to read or hear news about local Sporeans being marginalized in their own country whereas FWs have s better life. Hope future party will make a better place for Sporeans to live.

4. JasmineT says:

Transitioning Org, you will probably not publish my reply again but I have to tell you that I think it’s highly irresponsible of you to publish William’s NRIC. He may have signed off his letter with it but, as a champion of people’s rights, you should have known better than to publicise such personal information. Tsk tsk tsk!

5. xyz says:

1. Most companies in s’pore are playing fast & loose with workers. Especially those SME ah lian ah beng companies. This is becoz they have pro-employer laws and implicit soft touch by govt. S’pore has very bad worker rights (many nice-sounding rights on paper and on TV, but very very few instances of success). This is due to S’pore not giving much importance to universal human rights. Those of you who joined the pappies in ridiculing human rights activists and movement in the 1980s are now reaping your just rewards.

2. The 13th month (AWS) is NOT mandated. It is merely suggested in the law and not at all compulsory. Is it stated in your official employment contract in black & white?? I don’t think so.

3. S’pore law allows companies to fire workers willy nilly. In the Employment Act, companies don’t have to explain reasons or show prove, as you can read in many many sad stories in this website.

4. Oh btw, S’pore law also does NOT mandate retrenchment compensation. Like the AWS, retrenchment package is merely suggested in the Employment Act and is NOT compulsory.

5. I have dealings with CDC officers and managers. Sad to say, most of them are not really passionate about helping people. It is just a job and you are just a digit to them. Almost all CDC staff are on 2-year job contracts. Frankly they are more interested in keeping their own jobs or trying to find better-paying jobs for themselves than in helping you. Many spend more time carrying their superiors balls and coming out with nice powerpoint slides and giving presentations to mgmt and people from ministry of social & family devt.

6. You need to realise that unemployed people & poor people who need to go to CDCs are seen as incapable and not much use and no power (politically speaking). Hence they are very low priority in the eyes of papies. Currently less than 5% of Sinkies are in this category. If >25% of Sinkies start going to CDCs then it will be different story becoz so many Sinkies will have potential of affecting the votes.

6. Xavier says:

“This is Malaysia we’re talking about, a third world country”.
    Could justice for the people working at Pathlab, have occurred because Pathlab was not “politically-connected”?
    After all, try and remember that over 10,000 cases of unlawful termination were thrown out (despite being valid) in Malaysia, between 2001 and 2011.
    charleshector.blogspot.com/2012/12/10000-workers-denied-right-to-court.html