Tuesday December 12th 2017

Hi Mr Goh,

It took a lot of courage for me to write you this email.

A short introduction, I am 41 years old and I have had two failed marriages.

I am currently living with my 21-year-old daughter in a one room HDB rental flat. I have a 12-year-old son who’s living with his father.

Long story short, I’ve had my ups and downs. I had depression in 2008, and was admitted to the hospital.

Soon after my discharge, I went home to recuperate for a month — till this day I am still on medication.

Following that, I began working at an aesthetic clinic as a sale and marketing manager.

Despite my condition, the clinic doctor gave me the job.

I was very grateful to my doctor for being so understanding.

In 2010, the aesthetic doctor went to Korea for two years. Thus, he sold his clinic to another physician. However, unfortunately, I wasn’t  included in his hiring plan and have to leave the company.

I used to work as a beauty consultant, beauty trainer and assistant operation manager in different companies.

In 2011, through a friend recommendation, I found myself a job as a receptionist in a Norwegian shipping law firm.

I worked there for one and a half year.

The office manager started to have depression and was screaming at me everyday for no reason at all.

One week later, I told my boss that throughout my entire 20 years of career, I have never been treated this way before.

I was shocked when my boss said that my OM complaint to him that I never do my job!

I went home and cried for 4 hours. It was so bad that I couldn’t stop and my daughter wanted to go and have a talk with my boss.

I quitted the very next day.

I have been jobless since May 2013.

I have sent out many resumes to beauty industries to apply for a receptionist job but I never received a reply.

I am afraid to tell them that I have depression during the interviews.

I have no choice but to stay in a HDB rental apartment.

While it is nice to have a roof over our heads, the environment is stressful. There are drug addicts and the location is dirty.

I have been living here for 4 years but no help is given, other than the rebate from PUB.

Mr Goh, l am at a loss and feeling depressed… Please help me.

I have attached my resume for your reference.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Warmest Regards

Susan

Editor’s note: We will be assisting the writer with a $100 financial aid and try to look out  a suitable job for her.

12 Responses to “41-year-old single mother living in a rental flat, jobless since May 2013 and feeling depressed”

If the government cannot help its citizens, we should vote for the next party that can governed the city better…..vote for party that can implement good policies for the city state.

2. Hi Susan, sorry to hear your plight.

If there’s some roles which you think you might be able to contribute, do drop me an email at hello@fosstech.biz

3. chill says:

@sal: Indeed we should vote the party that can governed the city better. But it isn’t purely her government’s fault that she is not employed or that she and the govt have a choice that bad influences linger in her neighbourhood. At least she has a roof.

Meanwhile, we should be appreciative that the organisation is helping her now. You, sal, are not helping, and spreading illogical negativity online. Please hone your reasoning and analytic skills before supporting any party at all.

4. chill says:

@sal: Indeed we should vote the party that can governed the city better. But it isn’t the government’s fault that she is not employed or that she and the govt have a choice that bad influences linger in her neighbourhood. At least she has a roof.

5. Ms Alicia says:

Employer should give more job opportunity to the singaporeans before hiring overseas headcount. Only the real singaporeans suffers if over population continues. I really encourage Employer or company and financial insitution can assist this needy depressed overwhelming lady who has a bright future ahead. Please HELP her.

If only the G… will really listen and help the poor. The expats in Singapore and overseas thought the low income staff pay is sufficient, which is NOT true. Low income could be from S$50-450 per month. How to compare to the well paid Permanent Resident with employment pass / expats who fetch min range (sky rocket higher than Singaporeans) in Singapore.

Think again. How our future will be?

6. Sian says:

I’m participating in the job search at e2i (Employment and Employability Institute), but I find myself falling into anxiety, panic, depression, all combined to make it extremely difficult for me to move through the job hunting process. Unemployment has no deadline is what I read all the time. I pull up jobsDB to submit my resume and job applications, but the process makes me even more depressed. I’m fighting depression on my own, as I had a strong believe that antidepressant medication has terrible side effects and will somehow make my condition worst (like permanent brain damage?). I wanted to meet Gilbert but he is out traveling this week. I saw that he arranged for people who needed help to meet with career counselor or “try to find suitable job” for the person. How do I get help? I need help!

@Sian, maybe you can meet with @Chill…looks like he’s a smart alec.

8. kevin says:

Dear Sir,

I have a friend who is a single mother whom is unemployed. She didn’t have a good childhood and her family treated her very badly. She was asked to work when she is very young and so she didn’t even finished her secondary school. She has depression as there is no help for her to support her family. She applied for CDC but as usual they always rejected to help her. Where can she find help?

Pls advise.

Thanks.

9. david heng says:

Pls call my h/p 96388119,looking for unemployed IT with past exepereince.

David

10. Vincent Vijay says:

I am sorry to hear your story…Your future is in your own hands…you should have thought n planned about your future at an early stage…maybe in your 30s…but there are some things missing in your story and you know it yourself.

41yrs old, beautician…two words (sorry to say this, it’s a bit harsh) “forget it.”

Be daring and get a any job which pays you S$1800 to SGD2300…which is the market rate nowadays…Hard Truths though.

Take it or stay where you are…Oops..

I know and understand such situation as I grew up without parents support at all..

I lived in the streets, hidden, washrooms were my place of privacy, buns, biscuits, chips, hot tea, coffee, milo were my meals…but hey, it is ok, better than nothing.

I scrapped and managed to be where I am today, I am not society conscious n I do not look at the rich…

Anyone can survive in SG, if you know how to n willing to live a simple n easy going life.

Marry some crap rich man or so called stable men who is financially secured…a…what a crap…what goes around comes around one day…Hard Truth.

Stop being depressed n cut the crap…go get a job and move on in life…that’s the way it is..

Good Luck and Adios

11. Ayu says:

Lonely single mom. plus six zero one six two four three six one eight three

12. From St. Petersburg to Moscow, Yekaterinburg and beyond, daFlores can set up flower delivery in Russia.