Thursday August 17th 2017

Hi Gilbert,

I read your articles about Master degree holders not holding proper JOBs and decided to contribute.

There are many of my classmates who are in similar situation and they are driving taxis. I want to remain anonymous.

I had a MSc (EE) and B Eng (Electrical) and postgraduate Dip (Business admin) – all from NUS.

Yet I am only doing a job for Diploma or ITE graduates – quite depressing.

Now I am above 50 but I have been in this position for 4 years now – getting paid less than a fresh degree graduate.

This is totally abnormal. First world? Want to make me laugh. Rich country but poor people.

Singapore has no quota for Employment pass holders which mean that degrees from local uni can be useless.

They want people to donate to the local universities and train more foreigners to take over our jobs.

I totally agree with whatever you said online.

Very sad situation. If you want to know more let me know.

However we  are fighting a losing battle unless more people are affected -  for those who still have a good job they can’t care less about those who are unemployed.

SP

6 Responses to “50-year-old PMET with engineering NUS masters degree under employed and getting fresh graduate salary”

Its start with the Stanford PHD become a taxi driver …now those in their 40s above with good education become a taxi driver. Its a waste of resource, with your qualifications and experiences, you can impart your knowledge to the younger generation. Hope future party that gov the city will come out with good policies that pro locals.

2. caramello says:

Nowadays, getting a job is based on competition and luck rather then skills and education. I too have been getting jobs that is not even for diploma holder (min primary/O lvl) jobs.
    Max pay not more than 2k.

Those better paying position are normally grabbed up pretty fast. Just take a look at jobstreets/Jobsdb and you will know what im saying.

Worse part of it is that search firm wants us to sign a bond with them and that

• Sian says:

Is JobsDB and JobStreet the two best sites for job search? Are they comprehensive and cover almost all the job openings found on other sites?

Why would employers use other sites like Monster, STJobs, JobsCentral, and not sure what else. Do you seach ALL sites? Can I just use JobsDB and JobStreet?

3. J Y says:

It is true that a degree is useless if it doesn’t end up with a good job. Many grads are under-employed nowadays doing “O” level jobs with low pay just to survive.

Work experience is much more important than the theory we learned in school which had no practical use. The issue here is whether there is someone who can provide us with the chance to gain experience as we progress in the job.

Having a “lowly” job is at least better than none. If the colleagues are nice and cooperative, it should be OK than working in a high position with scheming people around you.

• 胡文斌 says:

So what?

The best thing about Singapore’s Foreign Talent Scheme is that Singaporeans who SUCCEED in say, getting a place in the local universities can always feel MUCH MORE SUPERIOR to their compatriots who DO NOT, even if they qualify.

Being in a Singaporean university is sufficient to put anybody, no matter what their nationality or GENDER, on a pedestal.

oh poon ping (“paul”)

4. Thistoo Shallpass says:

One problem with Singaporeans is that they think a university degree is a free pass to a successful life. It is simply not true any more. As J Y pointed out, work experience is much more important than what we learned in university. If you are 50 years old now, you received your degrees around 1990. There were no iPod, iPhone, or iPad back then and very few color laptop computers. There were no USB, X-Box, PlayStation, wifi, or broadband. The Internet was just getting started and 56kbps was a high speed connection. What you have learned at NUS are now obsolete.

When you are 50 years old, it is pointless to tell people what degrees or diplomas you once earned. An ITE graduate today probably have more relevant knowledge than you do.

I may be wrong and you may have kept up with the technology. If that is the case I stand corrected and I apologize. But your complaint would have carried a great deal more weight if you had talked about what you have been doing since graduation and how you got into the position that you are in now.