gopanator on: 16 January 2013, 2:36:13 AM
My wife, 3 month old daughter and I are moving to Singapore this summer. Nope, we do not have expat package and are taking a giant leap of faith.
I have read quite a few articles on this subject and see a lot of pros and cons…. Either ways, we have made our mind and are giving it a shot.
If it works great, if not, we are ready to made the long trip back to Canada.
I am looking for some information re job market information:
1. Is the format for resumes different – if so, please highlight the difference.
2. Reputable legal recruiters
3. How is the banking industry? I know banking is affected globally – how is it in Singapore (any sectors of banking is affected more so than others)?
Appreciate your response. Thanks,
Your Clever Mate 16 January 2013, 8:54:48 AM
Actually, it was helpful. You need some tough love here, dude.
So, your plan is: husband, wife and infant daughter arrive at Changi airport on a “social visit pass” and then, check into a serviced apartment or hotel or what?
Then you start a job search? And hopefully find a company willing to hire you / sponsor you for an Employment Pass?
Could this work within the 90 days of your social visit pass? Yes. Is this likely to work within that time frame? No.
Anyway, good luck and…
1. Resume’s are called CV’s here. The format is mostly the same, but employers tend to expect more info. Photos, family status, etc. If not on the CV, they will ask you at the interview. There are seemingly no “out of bounds” questions for a Singaporean job interview. “You have one child. Are you planning to have another? When?” or “Is your wife working? No? Why not?” etc
2. Not my area, no info, sorry. The executive search job market is crowded here, there are many many companies.
3. How long is a piece of string? Some ups, some downs, lots of jobs that someone has to do. But in my experience many are filled via local contacts or by cheapie hires from overseas (Indians, Pinoys, etc).
Editor’s Note: The abovementioned post is extracted from Expat Singapore.