Friday September 19th 2014

Generation Y jobless female PMET sees no future here and wants to emigrate

Transitioning continues our online interview series with  well educated young  Singaporeans who want  to emigrate out of this country in search of greener pastures and a better work life balance abroad.

In this interview, we featured Nicole – a 32-year-old female PMET who has just returned to Singapore after a work stint in the middle east and faces  a torrid time adjusting to  the maddening crowd and lack of personal space.

***********

Transitioning: Describe abit about yourself e.g. personal particulars, educational qualification, work experience.

Nicole: I am in my 30s, and like most Singaporeans, I completed a diploma locally. As it was very competitive to enter a university here, I further my studies in Australia after working a couple of years.

Transitioning: Where are you living now and why do you choose that location?

Nicole: I live in Singapore now, just relocated from overseas assignment after many years. I decided to move back as I thought home has made tremendously improvements in terms of work, wages, welfare etc.

Transitioning: Did you face any adjustment problem initially when you make the move? Any regrets so far?

Nicole: As I am hardly home in Singapore for the last 8 years, I faced the reality here that Singapore is not quite the same as before. I feel it is very difficult to get a suitable job or even a job especially when you passed  the ‘matured age’ of 30. Also I feel the stress of the high cost in Singapore; you can easily spend at least 10 dollars for a meal. The train is  always packed at all times. Driving is also stressful and the ERP are not cheap, you even pay when you are driving home. If you add up all this little expenses, our cost of living are actually very high if you are not getting home a comfortable salary of at least $3 K.

Transitioning: How is the family coping currently? Are they happy or do they want to move back to Singapore?

Nicole: I am not married yet so ultimately it is my choice to make the life I want and where I want to be.

Transitioning: What precious lessons did you learn from living abroad? Will you do it again if given the choice?

Nicole: Living abroad has its pros and cons. I reckon most people will feel lonely as they are away from their family and friends at home. For me, I enjoyed my time overseas, I feel more appreciated and talented too. I made many good friends from all walks of life and different nationalities. There is always something to learn, and you become very independent and strong. You will also tend to compare more when you have been exposed to many things in life. Yes, I will move overseas again.

Transitioning: Was it difficult to get jobs while staying abroad? Describe your job search experience and how different it is from Singapore.

Nicole: Yes definitely, it always more difficult to get job if you are a foreigner in any country. The country will look out for its own people first. I am lucky that I was first  recruited in Singapore and based overseas.

Transitioning: Do you want to return to Singapore eventually or prefer to settle down in your new place permanently?

Nicole: It is an individual preference. I reckon I will move out of Singapore when an opportunity arises.

Transitioning: What are your main reasons for wanting to move overseas?

Nicole: I see no future here at all. It is always the same old thing since growing up here. You work to make ends meet. And if you don’t make it to the top, perhaps one day, I may end up driving a cab (I have this thought by the way) or cleaning the toilets.

There is nothing wrong with those jobs, but apparently, your value drops as you get older. There is also no work life balance here. Singapore is too crowded and it is hard to find a place without people, and there is not much nature around.

It is just too dense here. The list continues…what else is left for us?

Transitioning: What are your advice for those Singaporean migrants who have newly move abroad?

Nicole: Start a brand new life and forget about Singapore, move on and create the dreams that you always wanted, I am sure this is the reason why you have decided to migrate. So don’t look back and don’t compare yourself with the locals there. Then return to Singapore as a foreigner holidaying and feel first class.

Transitioning: Any last words from you?

Nicole: Stay positive. I believe in God. Singapore will get its retribution if it continues to grow greedy. We are so tiny; don’t think too highly of ourselves. We are nothing at all and we are part of Malaysia. We don’t exist in the first place and this country belongs to Malaya. Singapore please grows within our limits and don’t overdo it. Why do we need two casinos in the first place?

End of interview and thank you.

Editor’s Note: The writer has recently  found a job and is coping well.

11 Responses to “Generation Y jobless female PMET sees no future here and wants to emigrate”

1. m'sia says:

what are the agendas of this “nicole” woman when she said that in the last paragraph that S’pore is part of and belongs to malaysia ? is this “nicole” a m’sian citizen or an ex-m’sian ?

2. Born in Singapore says:

Hi I am a Singaporean, and always been. I am not Malaysian and non ex Malaysian or anywhere.

3. Shout of Merdeka in future says:

It’s not just a speculation but a possibility that SG will become part of MY again. Even our “Grand Old Man” talked about it and cautioned Singaporeans of such reality quite some time ago. I may not live to see this happen but it could come to path a few decades down the road.

SG is a little red dot with no natural resources. How much more land can you reclaim? You can’t possibly extend to Batam or Johor. Economically, SG also cannot expect to do well eternally year after year. With total dependance on external influences and a small domestic market, it will come a time where the economy diminshes and become saturated. This will mark Singapore’s downfall.

Not ask me if I am a Malaysian. I am not. I am born and breed in SG not by choice but by birth. I have always urged capable Singaporeans, including my offsprings, to have a second passport on hand so that they have an alternative avenue if the going gets tough or be prepared to face the uncertainty of life here in SG.

4. Anon says:

Confirmed s’pore will re-join m’sia federation within the next 20 years. Question is whether it will be a managed process or will be forced. S’pore has already reached stagnancy — even PAPies don’t know how to grow s’pore economy anymore except to increase population size by legs-open policy to all kinds of foreigners.

Since 2004 s’pore growth is artificially induced by mass influx of foreigners — all their shitting, eating, sleeping, working increases GDP. Academics and researchers around the world have already studied S’pore’s economy. About 2/3 of GDP is due to this steep increase in population size e.g. if GDP is 5% — 3% is due to the large increase in population. Actual GDP from organic growth is only 2%.

The problem with PAPies policy is that it is a self-destructive method. Increase population via foreigners –> increase GDP. But this results in destruction of finite resources e.g. land space, transport, affordable flats, medical facilities, school places, stable jobs with good salaries etc etc. Barely 10 years when this policy went into over-drive and already you see many cracks in s’pore society. Not sustainable — eventually PAPies will be forced out, or there will be riots and civil war.

• jj@39 says:

Before 2004 s’pore growth is artificially induced by mass influx of foreigners.

My first felt was in 1999 that S’pore growth is artificially induced by mass influx of foreigners. Since my first felt was in 1999 then it could be earlier than 1999.

5. jj@39 says:

Perhaps she means S’pore was part of Malaysia in history, before S’pore became independent.

6. oz says:

with millions of non-muslims in SG, umno/bn will be voted out of power if SG were to merge back with m’sia.

7. manson says:

That female PMET that called Singapore is Malaysia is either sick or mad. Called yourself a Singaporean but treated the country that feed you like shit. Singapore is blessed if she migrate to another country. She is just a parasite. Pity the country that she go to because it will be another piece of shit when she leave one day.

Look like Singapore own her a living. What she think she is. Another ass-hole waiting to be screwed up.

• jj@39 says:

Aiyo, don’t scold her until like that lah.

• manson says:

Pardon my last entence. I withdraw it back. I should not put it this way. Sorry. I had been throught much hard times but never blame my country for all the sorrow state.
        Every man must stand up for himself and live bravely.
        Count ourself lucky that we all have a country and our home to come back from to. Why must she belittle our country as Malaysia. Malaysia have many times bullied Singapore just because we are small. Why? Because we have a Chinese Government, Chinese Army, Chinese police force…..They a Malay government, malay army, malay police force…………..

8. passerby says:

” we have a Chinese Government, Chinese Army, Chinese police force…..They a Malay government, malay army, malay police force…………..”

manson, we are BOTH multiracial countries. And don’t forget the Indians!