Thursday July 31st 2014

Jobless lady PMET lost out to a foreign Indian during a job interview

Transitioning (T): First of all, thanks Amy  for allowing us to interview you online and can you provide us with some background information about yourself?

Amy: A single female in her late 30s. I have a private secretarial certificate.

T: What was  your last occupation and you have told me that you were unemployed for more than 1 month, you tell us more about this and also your job search experience?

Amy: I am in Administration with more than 15 years of experience. Unfortunately, I was let off when my department head has to return to his country due to some family reason.

T: You have told me that you are currently jobless for more than 1 month, what did you do in order to survive? Did you also approach the CDC for assistance?

Amy: I have sufficient savings for now. I have sent numerous  resumes to many job placement agencies and  even stats board to widen my opportunities for job search.

T: Did you attend any interviews  during the past 2 months and why do you think you are unsuccessful so far?

Amy: I have  attended nine  interviews so far. Companies I applied directly to and  those that I attended  interviews with  do  not even bother to  reply you to inform whether  you are being shortlisted or not. They could at least send you an email to inform you of the outcome. Some companies would asked you about your salary at  the end of the interview and  thus you are able to gauge that they are not keen to pay that amount. I used to earn around the high end of $2000 but is coming to terms that my pay will be reduced further going forward.

T: Tell us abit more about what you have learnt from your jobless experience and how it has impacted your family.

Amy: As I am single, my family does not worry so much about me being jobless. I also learn to move forward with each single day and not to procrastinate. I know that each little step I take is important for me to attain my goal of getting a job! You can’t take a day of rest when you are jobless.

T: What do you think you could have done to shorten the unemployment period?

Amy: Reduce my pay. However, this will affect my self-esteem and self-worth in the long run. Also, my savings could also be depleted. Morever some companies do  not give an increment even after the probation period. Many companies have  also done away with AWS and  replaced it with variable bonus instead.  Is this legal by the way?

T: Do you think that Singapore is now a more difficult place to make a living?

Amy: I have a lot of acquaintances who are married without  children even if some of them have  a combined salary of a higher 4-figure sum. Many people are already jobless only in their 30s so you can imagine what will happen when you reach your 40s or 50s. We are only able to draw  out our CPF at age 65 years and if the person cannot find a stable or full time job in their 40s, how are they going to survive?

T: What do you think the government can do to alleviate the current employment situation?

Amy: Set a minimum wage for local employees and restrict the percentage of foreigners in a company. e.g. 75 percent locals,  25 percent foreigners for all categories.

T: Many people have blame foreigners for competing jobs with us, what is your view on this?

Amy: The foreigners play  a huge part in affecting the pay range and the job opportunities for us locals. e.g. I went for an interview with  a company and  one of the boss is an Indian. An Indian lady was eventually chosen over me. If all foreign bosses start  hiring their own, then what kind of jobs are left for us locals?

T: Lastly, whats your advice for those who are still jobless and depressed?

Amy: Be open to contract work and stay healthy. Get out more often even if you are not working and  meet up with friends.  Most of all stay positive!

8 Responses to “Jobless lady PMET lost out to a foreign Indian during a job interview”

1. Johnson-Melbourne says:

That’s the spirit,try applying for WDA or CDC. Your skills would be in demand there. Always continue working in any job till something better comes along. I don’t like my current job but still stick to it as long as I can till something comes along as it pays the bills. All the best! Do some volunteer work in the mean time to network which in turn may open new doors or do a course related to healthcare as demand exceeds supply for healthcare staff. It’d be good to upgrade your certs or get a dipolma etc as one has to constantly upgrade themselves.

2. anon says:

Unfortunately, the biggest problem facing you is AGE. Your field of admin is not rocket science, you don’t need degrees or diplomas. What bosses want for admin are generic soft skills like initiative, chirpy, on-the-ball, multi-tasking, high EQ, pro-active, being able to pick up new things fast on the job, excellent communication skills especially verbal, pleasant looking i.e. pretty, or smart looking depending on industry. You know all these better than I do.

However S’pore does not have anti-discrimination laws, so it is easy for companies to hire younger & cheaper & less experienced over you, and the companies can still say they are more qualified than you. Forget about MOM or Tafep — these are just propaganda and PR-exercise. You won’t get similar treatment or outcomes like news articles you read of other developed countries where ordinary joes & janes are helped by their govts to successfully investigate, sue or prosecute discriminatory companies for large compensation amounts.

Your best bet (considering your age) is to use your personal networks — start calling up your friends and ex-colleagues for lobangs, even touching base again with former heads and managers in your ex-company while the connection is still warm. Let people who know you and your capability know that you are available for work opportunities.

I can tell you that Ageism is very entrenched in S’pore, even among the ang moh MNCs based here (where their hiring practice in S’pore will get them sued for a million dollars back in their home countries). This is also very prevalent in civil service, ministries and stat boards. E.g. they don’t take in degree holders above 36 yrs old, unless the position is for Director and above, or it is a specialised position such as legal counsel or architect. And you better have years of appropriate experience to back up your job application.

3. Angelina says:

Even prominent local companies like Parkway Hospitals (Mount Elizabeth, Gleneagles, Parkway East) systematically force out mostly local staff because of age and higher salaries. The manner in which they do so also leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Older local staff are not paid retrenchment benefits, but compensated according to the terms of their employment agreement i.e. employees give the company 3 months’ notice to quit or the employer gives the staff 3 months’ pay if they want the staff to leave. No reason is given because the company knows that the Singapore govt doesn’t bother to do anything to protect its citizens.

4. VoteOutPAP says:

The only way to improve employment situation for Singaporeans is to vote out the PAP in GE2016.

5. Shah says:

Hi how are you? I’ll hope you are doing fine. I understand your concern, would you like work part time from home. pls do call me 91038833.

6. Joseph says:

For sure there are too many FT and employment passes holders. Not all are talented, talented FT dont really come to Singapore as Singapore has limited opportunities to offer comparing to the developed countries that has far more opportunities. Those who are here are all opportunitist, come here to care out a living for themselves. Looked at National Park , why so many Ang Moh and now they propose to create the 1 Billion Garden like the Durian (indoor theatre). How much is need to maintain as well as to keep the Garden going. Is the returns justifiable or to create jobs for themselves.

The citizens are without jobs and yet they are drawing exceptionally high salaries (sky is the limits). Looked around and asked yourself over the years, Singapore achievement is via all the FT talents or blue born and brred Singaporean is doing the task.

If countries like Thailand could create billionaires and many enterprising entrepreneurs with top class tourist venue, resort etc …how many are FT or on employment passes. Same go for Korea, Taiwan , Japan, USA< UK, Austrlai, Germany, Switzerland etc . Are we so lousy that our Govt mindset that FT is great.

time to wake up as your policies are causing too much hardship on the citizens.

7. AhKong65 says:

So sad to see all our unfortunate locals loosing their jobs to foreigners . What is happening to Singapore ? Don’t our government see the people’s unhappiness . Don’t they realize what is happening to the professional PMEs Singaporeans .

8. John says:

No one help us….We need to help ourselves…

U can attend RES course to be a property agent….at least u work hard, u close and u make a living

don’t need to see their faces to make a living!

And pls vote wisely in 2016