Thank you A for responding to our whistle blowing questionnaire on the malpractices of errant companies:-
1. First of all, thanks for being so brave to whistle blow on your company’s errant work policies. Can you tell us more about it?
I’m a recruiter/headhunter at a MNC recruitment firm, a firm that has offices in the UK, US and SG. I’d call this a UN sort of place as we have many nationalities here: British, local Chinese, local Indians, local Malay, Malaysian Chinese, Irish, French, South African, Australian, recent new hires are American, Filipino and one more Swiss guy is due to join us.
The main boss here is British. Last year alone he has hired 6 new people (4-5 are foreigners) and did not promote some existing ones yet. He also promoted a Caucasian one two levels up straight away. At this rate he’s going, soon I see more Caucasians.
Being a recruiter myself I have had requirements from my clients on race/language/marital status preference, and everyday still getting a lot of CVs from people presently not in SG hoping to land themselves a job here.
I wish to be kept anonymous, and in my writing in I really hope to shed light on hiring Singaporeans first (although not disagreeing that some Singaporeans are truly fussy).
2. Can you also let us know if you have inform anyone else about this e.g. a friend or the press?
3. Have the same thing happens in other companies which you have worked previously?
No, not so much and it wasn’t so obvious.
4. What outcome do you want to see by being a whistle blower here?
More stringent laws in employing foreigners, it’s way too lax now! They are arrogant and know that we locals don’t seem to have that many rights now and they think we are easy to bully.
5. What do you think that the authorities can do to alleviate the problem at your work place?
a) Do not have a hiring person that’s of a particular race as chances are they’d keep hiring their own kind… this is especially true of a foreigner hiring manager/ HR manager…
b) PRO-Singaporeans first! Hire Singaporeans first!
c) Have wages that are on par with the forever rising cost of living… to say that we locals want more pay is not true at all… this has to reflect on cost of living, ability to pay for housing etc.
d) Why do we have CPF every month taken away from our monthly salary and yet foreigners do not have this in place? In effect, employers need not have to pay for foreigners’ income tax… this is a fundamental flaw and inequality in itself and thus employers would obviously go for foreigners when they need to hire! Correct me here if I’m wrong.
6. Do you feel that our work culture here is very pro-business and that our workers’ rights are relatively weak?
Yes especially more weak for us locals!
7. Many people refuse to be a whistle blower for fear that they may be identified and lose their job, what make you speak out?
I believe I’m speaking for most Singaporeans that we are losing our country to these foreigners and they are suppressing our wages with their own kind of wages. Plus we’re losing rights on all levels and it’s affecting us emotionally, socially, financially, psychologically.
8. Lastly, can we have your contact number to confirm if you are the person answering the questionnaire? This won’t be revealed at all in public.