Monday January 14th 2019

Benefits of Singapore Permanent Residence & Singapore Citizenship

Singapore Permanent Residence & Singapore Citizenship

Generally Permanent Residence application is best for those under 50 years old, suitably qualified or skilled, on Employment pass or S Pass. Those over 50 but who are well qualified, enjoying High Income, employed  in rather Senior Positions & having excellent fixed & liquid assets could also try for SPR.

Approval of application of PR is based on the applicant’s qualifications, expertise, local employment and individual merit. New applicants would be assessed on talents, skills and experience and not just on academic qualifications. Another factor to consider whether the immigrant’s family members can also contribute to Singapore’s growth and how well the immigrant and his family can fit into Singapore society. Foreign students on scholarship might be persuaded to get their families to settle in Singapore. The target group of new immigrants will be mainly younger people.¬†

Citizenships & SPRs Granted to foreigners by ICA (source: ST )

Year                            Citizenships       SPRs

2002                            7,600                39,500

2003                            6,800                32,000

2004                            7,600                36,900

2005                           12,900               52,300

2006                           13,200               57,300

2007                           17,334               63,627

2008                           20,513               79,167

2009                           19,900               59,500

Apr 09 РMar 10            19,300               46,300

LTSVP applications               LTSVP Approved

Mar 2009 РMar 2010 total               70,300 Applications              56,300 Approved

SC Spouse applications             SC Spouse Approved

Annual Average   2005 -2009             15,400 LTSVP                       13,200 LTSVP

Annual Average   2005 -2009              9,900 SPR                           5,400 SPR

132,000 SPR applications were received by ICA in 2009. 115,000 were processed and 59,500 were successful.

Many of  the PRs were family members of new SPRs as well as dependents of Singapore Citizens. The selection process

is stringent. Most new PRs were the Professionals, Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers under the Employment Pass.

It assesses their tertiary and professional qualifications. One criterion used is whether they can integrate well into Singapaore society.

The first category are the PRs who met certain standards and whose children could become Singaporeans. Next, the EP holders who had skills or professional qualifications and came to Singapore as executives or professionals. The 3rd category were the semi-skilled  workers. The CPF contribution rates for SPRs is 4% for 1st year, 9% for 2nd years and 13% for 3rd year.

Foreign spouses of Singaporeans including husbands of Singaporean women may also apply for Singapore PR. The number of foreigners given Permanent Residence in Singapore has been increasing for the last few years but the increase in the immediate years ahead are being moderated

Other factors being equal, professionals and other professional visit pass holders stand the best chance of becoming SPRs under a point system beginning January 1999. Other than type of work pass, other factors are: duration of stay in Singapore, academic qualification, basic monthly salary, age and family ties in Singapore. No reason is ever offered for approval or rejection. The type of work pass the applicant holds will be the primary basis for assessing his economic contribution to Singapore. This aligns SPR to the Work Pass framework implemented by Ministry of Manpower. Those on P1 & P2 EP Pass for administrator, professionals, managers, entrepreneurs, investors and specialist talent stand a higher chance of becoming SPRs than those on the Q1 EP & SPass for skilled workers and technicians. Semi-skilled and unskilled foreign workers on R category Work Permits are generally not eligible for SPR

We are a Consultancy firm assisting clients in ICA & MOM application matters. We can guide in SPR application, vet documents & help in submission.  Write your message in this box below. Insert your email address. Click submit.

********

The Straits times and The New Paper reported on 20 May 2010 that Applications for permanent residency or Singapore citizenship may take a longer time to be processed by ICA, or they may not even be approved, under “more stringent” rules introduced in the last quarter of 2009. In the 12-month period between April 2009 and March 2010, 46,300 applicants for permanent residency were approved, while 19,300 applications for citizenship were given the green light. The figures for the whole of 2008 were 79,200 and 20,400 respectively. With the more stringent requirements there may be applicants who may not meet the new criteria and who may no longer qualify for PR or SC. ” Others “may take a longer time as residency requirements have been stretched out in the new framework. Singaporeans or PRs whose foreign dependants do not yet qualify can apply for long-term visit passes to remain in Singapore.

¬†Singaporeans can sponsor family members such as foreign parents, spouses and children for long-term stay, but not other relatives. In cases where a Singaporean family has no other immediate local options available to, e.g, care for a newborn, the ICA may – on a case-by-case basis – allow a foreign spouse’s mother, to extend her stay here. Between April 2009 and March 2010 this year, 70,300 applications for long-term visit passes were received by ICA, and 56,300 LTSVP were successful. As for foreign spouses of Singaporeans, the ICA processed an annual average of 15,400 long term visit passes and 9,900 PR applications from them between 2005 and 2009. Of these, 2,200 and 4,500 respectively were unsuccessful. The key consideration is whether the Singaporean can support his or her foreign spouse financially.

What are the benefits of Citizenship?

Only Singapore citizen can apply for a Singapore International Passport which has very little travel restrictions around the world.

Citizens have the right to vote in Presidential and Parliamentary Elections and to stand for elections. PR’s children if borne in Singapore becomes only PR but Singapore Citizen’s children borne anywhere will automatically become Singapore Citizens.¬†

Citizens over 21 years can buy or rent subsidized public housing from the HDB while PRs can only buy resale flats. Married Citizens who are first time buyers can get CPF housing grants of S$40,000 to buy from the open market and S$50,000 if the apartment is near where their parent’s or where their married children lived. In upgrading of HDB flats Citizens pay a fraction of HDB upgrading costs while PR pay for the full cost. Singapore citizens are entitled to a subsidized mortgage loan rate of 0.1% above the CPF rate. Citizens can buy all types of private residential property but PR must seek permission from the Law Ministry if they want to buy landed property or any unit in a low rise apartment development which has less than 6 levels.

Citizens qualify for tax rebates of S$5,000 to S$20,000 if their 2nd child is borne after Jan 1st 1987. More tax rebates & subsidies are now available even for the 4th child . Citizens who are working mothers qualify for tax rebates equal to 15% of their income at the time of her 3rd and 4th child birth if she elects for separate income tax assessment. Citizens receive ad hoc CPF top up from the government.

Singapore can expect to have 200,000 new SPRs and about 40,000 new SCs in the next 5 years.  A person is eligible for citizenship if he is above 21 years and has for a total of 10 out of 12 years as a PR. Those with relevant qualifications are eligible after 5 out of 6 years as PR, while professionals, investors and graduates can apply under the Accelerated Citizenship Scheme after 2 years as PR.

23 Responses to “Benefits of Singapore Permanent Residence & Singapore Citizenship”

1. tjhin says:

You left out the 2 years NS and 10 years ICT benefits for male citizens.

2. Remy says:

I believe most Singaporeans do not hit that kind of income to qualify for the parenthooc tax deduction. This way of indirectly encouraging wealty citizen to have more children and at the same time indirectly discouaging less wealty citizen to have more children is the result of a record low in Singapore birth rate…

3. Hi there, simply turned into alert to your blog thru Google, and found that it is really informative. I’m going to be careful for brussels. I will be grateful for those who proceed this in future. Lots of folks will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

4. lakshmi says:

I am working in singapore since 2 yrs..
    I wanted to apply for PR.
    My manager stoped me from applying as he has to increase my salary in terms of CPF employer contribution.

Can an employer stop an employee from applying for PR. ?

• anon says:

Why you want to be PR? Pls select from below MCQ:
      1. Want to job hop.
      2. Want to buy HDB.
      3. Got kid starting primary school in 2013.
      4. All of the above.

Instead of hantaming your question all over the Web, you should go seek advice from India High Comm.

• Janes arc says:

Hi,
      They give priority to Chinese, they don’t want
      Other ethnic communities to be more than Chinese
      It’s discrimination.

5. Ed says:

Fellow Sg citizens,
    Please read this article and tell me any slanderous remarks you find

I am not even living in Sg now and yet it makes me boil how the
    writer degrades Sg citizens living in Sg

Pehaps somebody should report it to the government, surely the
    Government should not accept some of the remarks.

6. Ann says:

My SC application was rejected in Apr. I want to write an appeal letter. I am PR, my husband is a SP holder. We ROM at Singapore. We want to build our family at Singapore. How should I write this appeal letter?

7. jj says:

Too many doubts, too many conflicts, too many unhappiness because of the PR policy. Should abolish it.

8. Vani says:

Hi,
    Currently i am staying in long term visit pass and my spouse is a SPR.Now i got job here. My employer wants to apply work pass for me. Will it have any impact on my PR application and staying in HDB flat with my spouse?

9. Charles says:

Hi, recently i have applied for my mother-in-law long term pass was rejected.
    But they also extend 30 days for her. Total is 60 days.
    Reasons for my mother-in-law to stay with us because recently my father-in-law passed away.
    So we ask her to come and stay with us. We are scared if anything will happen to her.
    Her son also in singapore working under work permit.
    My wife is a pr with also her sponser . They said i cannot sponser her.
    How to extend my mother-in-law stay in singapore?
    We do not expext 5 years. We just need bout 9onths to 1 year.
    Pls help… I do not wish to see my mother-in-law go back alone to china.

10. Bakhtour says:

i am iranian and i would like to apply for singapore citizenship .how i can apply?

11. Deepak Mohinani says:

My wife and son are Singaporean and I hold a PR status even though we reside in Ghana but plan to make Singapore our base in the next few years. We own property in Singapore . Our son (9) will be doing his NS in a few years.
    I would like to apply for Singapore citizenship. What is the procedure and what documents will I require?

Thanks

12. Efi says:

Hi, is there an inofficial/official minimum amount in CPF need for successful renewal of SPR?

13. yuvaraj ranggasamy says:

Hi,
    As mentioned above, my name is yuvaraj and I am married to a singapore citizen for the past 6years. Our marriage is registered in malaysia and I am a Malaysian citizen. My questions are as per below:
    1) Do I need to ROM in singapore again if I would like to apply for a Singapore PR status?
    2)If no, can I register my marriage from the Singapore High Commision in Kuala Lumpur or I need to ROM in Singapore?
    3) Once the ROM issue is completed, when I apply for my PR and how long will it take to obtain it?
    4) I am a professional I Logistics and have worked for Oil and Gas MNC’s in a regional managerial position, thus will this help my PR application?

Kindly reply on my questions above asap
    Wearing for your kind reply.

Best Regards,
    YUVARAJ

14. Ana says:

hello….i am interested to apply for Singapore permanent residency and wondered if having Singapore citizen aged parents and a brother would aid in obtaining an approval? please advise and thank you for your time.

15. michelle says:

Hello, I am a dependant permanent resisdent but I am working now and my husband is singapore citizen. Can I apply the PR for my mother? Can I be her sponser? What kind of documents do I need for PR application? Thanks in advance.

16. Yen nee says:

If I am holding Singapore PR for 13 years ,I had sponsored my two daughters and my husband become PR too,if I would like to apply Singapore Citizen,my daughters and husband can still remain their PR ?

17. Connie says:

I wan to apply SC , pls advise
    Thks

18. Mariz says:

Hi,

I’m an SPR,currently working as Civil Engineer since May 2015 and is under probation for 4 months. Graduated with a degree overseas but I finished my O levels in Singapore. I obtained my degree last June 2015 but I’m already employed before even graduating. Last July 2015,I got married here in Singapore to a foreigner since I’m pregnant and will be delivering our baby here this coming October at NUH. However,when I tried to apply LTVP for him,he got rejected. He’s also a degree holder,we came from the same university in the Philippines. My worry is that,when I deliver our baby. What pass can our baby hold? Also,my whole family is here(mom and siblings),we’re staying with them since then,my brother recently renounced his citizenship and is already a Singaporean,we plan to apply for citizenship too together with my mom and two other siblings. Please advise me on the possible things I should do.

Thanks

19. Alice says:

Can my singapore citizen sister sponsor me for PR in Singapore