Thursday July 31st 2014

Younger generation of Singaporeans want change (Asiaone forum)

Originally Posted by smickno View Post
I do not think past generations of Singaporeans “followed blindly” Even though they were mostly illiterate, they were not stupid and certainly not uneducated.

Round One: MM Lee, Goh Keng Swee etc had to talk sense to convince the people to elect them. Round two and after: they had to produce results.

Go to Chinatown, there’s an old shophouse in Temple Street, if I remember the road name correctly, which has been preserved as a museum to showcase how life/living conditions used to be. For those who have not been there, it is really worth going there at least once. Now, go to Marina Bay, take a walk along The Esplanade. Or maybe you might want to do your shopping at Bugis Junction? Or Junction 8? You drive? How about driving along one of the expressways? Going for a holiday? Do check in early and enjoy Changi Airport, which foreigners appreciate so much and said, if you have to be stranded due to delayed flights, the best place to be stranded is Changi. See the difference?

Look at our medical services, air quality, schools, parks, national libraries. Look at how vibrant this island city is, a red dot which never sleeps. The night life complementing the buzzling commercial activities, which other countries can only dream about, not because they lack bright people but a system of good governance, and as importantly, good government.

Today’s generation has gone beyond bread and butter issues. It’s no longer about our physiological needs, rather it’s about trying to discover ourselves, who we are, what we are, what’s really our national identity. There is a certain sense of disorientation when all of a sudden, we find ourselves having to share our living space with peoples of diverse cultures and backgrounds in the workplace and in and around our homes. This is of course not helped by the rocket speed at which Singapore was built which defined the way we live our lives. But that’s the price our forefathers paid and a price we’ll have to continue to pay if we want to keep ourselves ahead of the competition. It’s about our survival as a nation, as a red dot. Do not for a moment assume that we will remain No.1 (in a few areas) indefinitely because what we have done, other countries can also do, and do better, once they get their act together.

If we dissect the problem, we will notice that the vast majority of foreigners are here to do jobs which we don’t want to do anyway. It’s really a minority of Singaporeans who did lose their jobs to fake FTs or FTs who were not really needed in the first place, but that’s only because of the imperfection of the system, as any system is bound to have, which lent itself to abuse by some employers – not exactly and not always the boss himself – but some middle or junior-middle manager who’d been given a little power to hire job applicants for the job of making or selling bread, for example.

Now, do not confuse the cause of the undercurrents of disquiet which is really to do with the disorientation (paragraph in red above) among some Singaporeans with the problems of a small minority, which have been elevated to the national crisis that it is not. The resistance to change is inherent in people, and I’m sure you must have faced that at one point or another in your life, especially working life, when you tried to change the methodology for the better but got stonewalled by the corporate culture. Ditto for Singapore, when bitter medicine is necessary for our “progress and prosperity”, certain elements of the society will fight tooth and nail to preserve the familiar.

Reasoned arguments won’t persuade when we are dealing with abnormal psychology. If we’re going to debate these issues in Parliament, we will probably move at a pace 3 times slower when much time is spent in arguing and justifying certain actions, and while the rest of the world surge ahead, we will still be dealing with powerful lobby groups. Look at US politics for examples, and I shant digress too much. In the end, it’s really much like wanting to spring clean the flat, have the 20 year old electric cables changed, a total renovation in brief, but your grandmother would only allow you to discard even old newspapers dating back to the 1980s over her dead body.

So while it is being argued that the new generation wants change, the irony is that when faced with change, they are the very ones resisting it.

22 Responses to “Younger generation of Singaporeans want change (Asiaone forum)”

1. [...] Younger generation &#959f Singaporeans want change (Asiaone forum) /  Support Site f&#959r… [...]

2. [...] Younger generation of Singaporeans want change (Asiaone forum … [...]

3. [...] Younger generation &#959f Singaporeans want change (Asiaone forum) /  Support Site f&#959r… [...]

4. I don;t believe you’re right, have you actually checked the information?

• nobody says:

We had been having foreigners to work here since 10 years back. There was not much resistance back then..
      So why is it now? Answer is that people are very disgusted by the CHINA NATIONALES who steals jobs and all kinds of opportunities from Singaporeans. They have been criticising and laughing at Singaporeans, treating us like fools. They feels more superiors as foreign talents are being wooed by our government, always making fun of our people in the public.

I have encounter many incidents:
      1. In the toilet, I overheard China PRs talking loudly, insulting their Singaporean colleagues as weak and useless and older Singaporeans for not being able to work as hard as them.
      2. In the fastfood restaurants, I overheard the China mothers mocking at out Singapore students, saying that they are more dumb than their kids and also Singapore parents are simply too weak.
      3. In the neighbourhood shop, the China man who took over the one and only nearest household products store, priced his products so expensive, and when i feedback that he is over pricing, he says loudly in mandarin: YOU SINGAPOREAS CAN AFFORD ONE! My neighbours also get very annoyed by the same response but still buys from him occassionally for convenience’s sake…

Please, try to ask a few of your friends and relatives, you will know more about their experiences about this group of PRs. There are some good ones of course, or probably time can tell if they will change their attitude.

5. Kevin Teo says:

Firstly, don’t blame the foreigners, i blame our govt squarely !

Your statement: “If we dissect the problem, we will notice that the vast majority of foreigners are here to do jobs which we don’t want to do anyway. It’s really a minority of Singaporeans who did lose their jobs to fake FTs or FTs who were not really needed in the first place”

You got it wrong ! The fact that foreigners (don’t call them FT bcos majority are not talented) make up 36% of our population tells you some thing is wrong. In most developed nations, it is below 20%.

The question is not about do we or do we not need them. We do need them. The question should be: why do we need such a super high influx ? When you go to any job fair and NTUC e2i industry previews, you see more than half of them aged 40yo to 60+. Doesn’t that tells u too that too many mid-to-older citizens have been replaced by them due to too overwhelming number imported ?

Our govt created this problem & we the citizens suffer ! Thanks to the online forums and blogs that I read regularly, our govt over imported foreigners because it wants as many PRs as possible to become citizens to vote for PAP, that is the main reason why we are struggling these days looking for jobs and stagnant real income !

6. Having reading this blog i realize it was helpful in so many ways. Genius!

7. Doktortitel says:

Hi there would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re working with? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a honest price? Thanks, I appreciate it!

8. Kev. J. says:

The last sentence which states “So while it is being argued that the new generation wants change, the irony is that when faced with change, they are the very ones resisting it” is quite disturbing for one. I used to talk to a friend, or former friend, about why we should always give opposition parties a chance to share their policies and to aid in governance in parliament because of the absence of a check. But her reaction was essentially a rather double-edged one which cuts only against herself. On the one hand, she complains that the opposition is useless, all as a result of the drumming in of the message by our media that the opposition is “useless”, when it is not true at all. The opposition can be as efficient or even more efficient than the current ruling party, but Singaporeans never gave them the chance to be helping them in parliament. Then, on the other hand, she complained on and on about how the government is raising this and that cost, and that they are bringing in too many foreign workers and so on. All in all, she exemplifies the kind of mindset of wanting change yet choosing to back out at the last minute, and hence, relinquishing her very own rights. The funny thing was, the last time, she never even voted and she was so vocal to that extent. Nothing personal, but I do think that even as much as it is her mindset, if Singaporeans have a similar mindset as a whole(which I pray not), then we are inevitably bound for a ride down the hill as a country.

9. If you ever need help you can PAN me! I’ll start my BSN program January 2012. I was in a program before and loved it, I changed my major and got behind since changed then I went back to nursing. I have a 4.0 so far in college!

10. Thanks for your whole efforts on this site. My mother enjoys doing internet research and it is obvious why. We all know all about the powerful way you convey very useful things on the blog and as well as strongly encourage contribution from some other people about this situation while our child has always been discovering a great deal. Have fun with the rest of the year. You have been conducting a tremendous job.

11. The Independence says:

@Kev. J.
    it is definitely the norm among many Singaporeans..complaining but afraid to change. no wonder 李敖said Singaporeans are stupid ! (although i do not like him).
    Singapore will not collpase with PAP government..as we have a efficient civil service.from this election i can see many equally as good if not better Alternative candidiates sprouting out…this tell me sometihng about situation in SIngapore. And best all these alternative are not elilist like our PAPies. Just wait and see when the most senior state man is gone.

I been working overseas and I always see other chinese group helping their own countryman but not singaporeans.
    We still think we have edge over the Chinese, over the westerners.. tell you..our English and mandarin all stucks..people dont need us..luckily we are still know for our integrity.

12. Mark says:

I am very inclined to agree with the comments written by The Independence above. Even while overseas (I am now living in Europe), I have come across (friendly, unfriendly Chinese just like any other nationalities. Even the French can be ruder and worse than your average “rude” Chinese portrayed in the Singapore media, not forgetting too that quite many north African immigrants such as Tunesians, Algerians living in France have a real serious problem integrating into the French society. Move out of Singapore and see the world!) Chinese who form a social network among themselves, helping one another. I don’t really see such social network among Singaporeans! Even if so, the main motive seems to be to only find “business opportunities”, not about cohesion for the sake of a common culture. You will be even more disappointed visiting any of the Singaporean embassies in Europe (Paris, Geneva), the average Singaporean diplomat does not seem to have any passion in what they do! Really, no joke! I wonder what is really wrong

13. To Sg says:

Have u forgotten who is the sg diplomat, they are
    The ruking party elite, would they socialize with u
    Just because u r a sg
    They want to keep their hands clean

14. sgstyle says:

Why do our government do things that are not of Singaporean’s gain??? Asking us to accept the intake of foreigners and just shut up.
    Does we have human rights??? Sometimes I don’t feel like a Singaporean.
    Can the government do something about the declining birth rate and stop transporting the foreigners into the country??? Please.
    Asking us to give birth to more children is definitely not a good solution with our inclining expenses.

What is the best size ratio FT to local? 20 : 80, good ratio….does anyone have an answer to this? Comparing to other first world cities, what do u think d best ratio?

16. ufo says:

“Why do our government do things that are not of Singaporean’s gain??? ” They only do things that are of their own pockets interest. Singaporeans are just tools for them manipulate and to accumulate personal wealth. Once old and useless, they are replaced by foreign objects.

17. a says:

The reason why PAP rose to power is because we practiced a policy of silence and self-interest. If you feel like you are in a Nazi society now Singaporeans who voted for the PAP are the reason.

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Catholic.

Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak for me.

18. Larry says:

Let’s be frank, the gahmen f..k-up big time.
    Just look at the prices of flats, cars, transportation, hospitalization, and of course employment opportunity.

Easy to talk c..k with pay pkt of 1/2m to 1m pa.
    These people should try commuting in Madras Rapid Transit and Shanghai Bus Service.

Being a loyal Singaporean has little meaning now. For the younger generation is going to be tough, very tough.
    The demographics has screwed beyond recognition.

That’s your gahmen.